Monday, June 15, 2009

a little design nod to my thesis work...

sipping on my morning coffee while browsing my daily blog reads I was delighted to come across the hotel aire de bardenas in spain on the blog remodelista (whom blogged about it via wallpaper). it immediately reminded me of my graduate thesis design which i completed in 2008...mainly the 'cube' like structures that penetrate the main building structure to the outside. the article from wallpaper says about the architects... "lopez and rivera designed the 22 rooms with clean lines and sleek, powder-coated steel to balance the rough world outside. The rooms center on what the architects call 'inhabitable windows:' big, glassed-in pop-outs where you can sit and contemplate the desert without getting sand in your espadrilles." this is eerily similar to my concept for my 'modern introspective rejuvenation hostel' which I housed in the current allston library designed by machado silvetti architects (don't ask what a 'modern introspective rejuvenation hostel' is exactly, you know how in design school they like to use what i refer to as 'fluff' words, or words that don't necessary connotate anything in particular since most people get stuck on the literal meaning of words like 'hotel' or 'spa'.). my main goal was to relate connection through projection by physically penetrating some of the more 'sacred & transitional spaces' (i.e.,yoga & meditation studios as well as the informational center...aka: library) into the main interior atrium and out through the exterior wall as well.

here are some images from the hotel...



and here are a few from my thesis work...


No comments:

Post a Comment