Tuesday, October 12, 2010

it's more than just a chair...

this is my great aunt doris, she passed away in november of 1999, just before thanksgiving break during my sophomore year of college. she was physically handicapped since birth, but never complained at the hand God had dealt her. she never married and lived with her sister (my nanna) for all of her adult life (they were great sisters...not sure i could live with mine for ALL of my life, no offense farrell).

doris was very very smart, she could remember dates like nobodies business. and loved to sing to us and have us draw her pictures. she would watch us color or dance around from her chair in the living room always with a smile on her face; she loved us as if we were her own grandchildren. it's sitting in this chair that i remember her best, especially sitting in her lap as a little girl...


her chair has been sitting covered in my father's basement for over a decade now. i have been meaning to bring it to my house for a long time and finally did this past weekend while i was home for my cousins wedding. it's uncovered and sitting in my living room, looking a little out of place without her sitting there in it to watch me color or sing to me. obviously its current fabric doesn't mesh well with my decor, so i've been thinking about recovering it, not sure with what yet. however, i do love the fact that the back has a separate fabric from the face, i think i'll do something like that and then with a solid welting around it too...

it's a beautiful chair. she was a beautiful person, and i miss her...

No comments:

Post a Comment