Sunday, October 17, 2010

today was a good day...


sundays are usually the day i look forward to the most, mainly because i get to lie around in my sweatpants all day and watch football and relax, but this one in particular was special for me. my dad came up to visit for the night and we walked over to mass at saint cecilia's this morning. if you haven't been to this parish, go, father john unni is the best. now i'll admit, i don't go to church EVERY sunday, but i do go more often than not and have found my faith has grown stronger in adulthood. father unni's sermons are what keeps me going back, he always relates them to something parishioners can identify with (and he's pretty easy on the eyes...is that weird to say about a priest?)...

today he talked about the persistence of your prayers and how Gods silence doesn't necessarily mean he hasn't bent down to hear our prayers. we all too often want instant gratification, a direct answer, and we look for the answer that we want or expect to hear. but it doesn't always work like that. more often than not we feel that he has not heard us, not answered us...but it's in His silence that our faith, hope and trust cultivates. he tells us to be persistent in our prayers even when we are weary, during times of good and times of trials, and God will answer us, just not the way we sometimes want things to work out, but for our best. it's a hard thing to grasp, especially for an impatient person like myself...but i guess that's what having faith really is all about?

i was thankful for this sermon today, it reminded me of the patience i need to have not only in my prayers but in my daily life and in love. today i was reminded that i need to have faith in God and that he will always take care of me, no matter what the outcome. and i was glad to have my dad there to hear these words with me and share the afternoon with.


my football team, the giants, won AND i also spent the later part of the afternoon with good friends baking my first ever apple pie. i am so lucky to be surrounded with good friends doing fun things, it was a good day...

No comments:

Post a Comment