Monday, August 8, 2011

reading extravaganza...

i've not turned on the tv in over a week...not to worry, dvr has recorded all the items for me to watch later. but lately i've been on a reading extravaganza, one book after another. over the weekend i read two fascinating true stories that i highly recommend you read.

the first was the immortal life of henrietta lacks. at first i didn't think i would like this book, much less understand it, since it involves biology, not my best subject. but trust me when i tell you, i was completely engrossed in this true life story of the hela cells. i had no idea the story, the significance of its contribution to science, nor the heart ache is brought to the lacks family...needless to say it made me do a lot of thinking...



the next book i read in less than 3 hours. i'll start by saying it's not for everyone. heaven is for real caught my attention, and being a practicing catholic i myself have struggled with the idea of heaven and hell...and of course i am still skeptical of this story, told by a preacher through the words of his then 4 year old son. maybe if i had witnessed and heard as they did i would be a little less skeptical, maybe not. that being said, it was a wonderful book to read, strengthened my faith just a little bit more and brought me some sort of comfort in knowing/believing that my lost loved ones are on the other side waiting to be reunited. i had chills the entire time i was reading this, especially when the little boy talks to his mom about his 'other sister'...



now i'm reading i never promised you a rose garden, which i am having a hard time following at the current moment. it's a story about mental illness, a 1964 book semi-autobiographical novel of a teenage girl's battle with schizophrenia...i'll let you know how it goes...


1 comment:

  1. I agree about Heaven is For Real...crazy right? That part about the sister?!

    I love your blog pots & pots and I love you even more.

    ReplyDelete