Wednesday, July 31, 2013

wedding cake topper...

one of my favorite diy projects for our wedding was the cake topper. when i looked into buying one they were way more than i wanted to spend, so i figured i would try my hand at making one. this way a more or less got exactly what i wanted and was able to customize it to our wedding vibe...



i headed to my go-to source, etsy, and came across goose grease- the original peg doll wedding cake toppers. it was exactly what i was looking for! they had a great little diy kit and it was super affordable...



i bought a little wooden base from michael's craft store to wood glue the peg dolls to. i also used wooden food skewers to attach to the base to hold up the pennant banner i made (these are the same fabrics my mom used to make our bigger pennant banner, great way to tie it all together). best piece of advice when making your own- it doesn't have to be perfect or precise...



the only snafu, which ended up working out in my favor (wink, wink) was getting the groom to decide which tie he was going to wear in a timely fashion so i could paint the dang things to somewhat resemble us. being the wacko that i am, i just made the decision for him and strong-armed him (although he would disagree with that statement) into which one i wanted him to wear...




and i LOVED the end result...it's something we'll have forever now and can maybe use in the future for an anniversary cake someday.

1 comment:

  1. Ummm, this is amazing. You are my idol of artistic ability and talent. I just finished my first house project. I sanded and painted! Are you proud?! I LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete